Wednesday 23 May 2012

Technology can be a curse...

For those of you who know me, you will realise that I love a good bit of technology!  I sit there in front of Corrie with my i-pad, my i-phone is rarely out of sight, and I get very excited when a new computer is released for me to try out in the Apple shop at Bluewater.

I also believe that it is essential that I give this passion to our children.  Technology is going to play a major part in their lives - even greater than it does in ours today.

I promote the use of technology, which is why we have a school website, which is why I write this blog, and which is why I am trying very hard to get all parents to sign up to ParentMail.  Convincing some parents can be an uphill struggle, but we are getting there...

But then, there are days when I wish the Internet had never been born.  Particularly on days when I learn that parents have been posting videos and photographs on Facebook.  As a school, we make it very clear that we are happy for parents to take photos and videos of their children in school performances.  We trust our parents to be sensible about their usage.  I would never have dreamt that parents would think it acceptable to put images of school children - not even their own children on line.

We can't allow this to happen in our school.

Unless this stops, we will have to stop parents taking photos.  The actions of the minority could have a significant effect on the majority.

Please pass the word. - facebooking school photos is not on.

GR

No comments:

Post a Comment