Saturday 23 June 2012

I'm really going to miss the Year 6.

We had a trip yesterday.  It wasn't of huge educational value - but it did value the huge efforts that our current year six have made in the development of the school.
It is likely that our children in Y6 will be the highest achieving drop since the school opened in 2008.  We will have to wait until the SATs results are published in July, to know for sure - however, I know that they have been given the best chances to succeed.

We left school on Friday morning and travelled to Chessington World of Adventures, and despite some teachers' best efforts to get the children interested in the small zoo, and the sea life centre - it ended up being a day of thrill-seeking - seeing who could go on the highest, fastest ride.

Miss Kaur, Mr David (one of our new teachers for September) and a few children began with a ride where it there them upside down, round and round before thoroughly drenching them.  No one minded - it was going to rain anyway.

I even went on a few rides myself.  I wasn't keen, but when I eventually got on the Cobra - and persuaded a few cautious children t join me, we had a great time!

Some days, when I am getting complaints about certain decisions, or take-up for a certain meeting isn't high, it takes its toll on morale.  But days like Friday really restore my belief that the work I am trying to do is worth it.  We have wonderful children at Oakfield.  These children are achieving the best they have ever achieved - and this year we are certainly going to exceed national averages in Maths - and probably in English too.

Next year and the year after, we plan on building on our success and ensuring that each and every child leaves the school ready to begin the next stage of their career.  With only four weeks to go until the end of term, I'd like to thank ALL parents that support the school - and thank too those parents that don't always agree with what I do, but always support and encourage - and always come up with perhaps better ways of doing things.

But most of all, I would like to thank the staff and children of Oakfield, who make it such a great place to learn and work.

GR

1 comment:

  1. Well done! I have seen a massive change in the school since my daughter started in Miss Spencers reception class a few years ago, she's come on in leaps and bounds and enjoys going to school every day!

    ReplyDelete