Tuesday 19 June 2012

New logo, old issues...

Yesterday, a letter was sent to parents informing them of changes to the uniform from September.  The change was that a new logo was going to be used on the uniform, instead of the old one.
The new logo is bright, modern and really portrays a sense of moving forward at the school.  This logo will eventually replace the old logo in all our school branding.

The letter sent home about the uniform was badly worded and therefore badly handled, and it just goes to show that even with the best intentions, sometimes things go wrong...

Out of the (two) complaints that I have received - and I am sure there are more parents out there who are not happy with the change, but who just haven't written to me - has come a really positive message.  Our parents and carers now really like and EXPECT to be consulted.  When the new school opened in 2008, and I took over as headteacher, one of the messages from parents was that communication was poor and that they wanted to be consulted.

Over the last four years, I have consulted with parents on a range of topics.  Sometimes, when something had gone wrong, I would consult with parents in a focus group.  I have also held Parent Advisory Groups (which have stopped for a while, since the last one only had one parent attend!) which have looked at operational issues and how they affect the school.

Sadly, with the logo, there has been no consultation with parents - although some consultation has been carried out with the children - mostly by our Young Evaluator Group.  Responses to the new logo have been mixed - but most of the comments made relate to positive aspects of the intention of the new logo.  Children asked to comment have said "the logo represents the school better," "it's more modern," and "it's more grown up." 

Just to be clear - the old logo on uniform is still perfectly acceptable, and there is no pressure on any parent to buy new uniform until the old uniform is worn out.  The last thing I would want is for parents to be put under financial pressure that was unneccesary.

Perhaps in this case, more consultation with parents would have been helpful.  I don't believe the logo is bad - I just think the way the situation has been dealt with is bad.  But we all learn from our mistakes, hopefully...

GR

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree when I first read the letter I thought oh no I've just bought all new polo tops with logos on once I read further and realised they are still able to wear them it was fine. Although I did wonder why there was a change in logo as its very unusual to change a logo without a valid reason as this is an identity as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no gripe with a new logo (although I prefer the current one) but I agree the letter could have been better. I am still left wondering why it needs to change?

    As to the Parent Advisory Groups I think it is a great opportunity to be involved and I always attend if I can - don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As above not really sure why the logo has to change, but onwards and upwards as they say. Re the Pag and pta groups, a lot of the time they are too early for working parents to attend, my husband would love to be more involved with things but often does not get home until 7pm,
    Overall I think the changes within the school have been brilliant, my daughter is very happy and proud to say she attends Oakfield.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really great to see the comments made by Caz above as its one of the things I have been raising with the PTA for some time. Working parents can't attend early meetings, but still want to be involved. We dissussed this at our meeting this week and is something that we hope to change.

    Although the PAS is not functioning anymore, PTA is (just) and consultion on the new logo would have given a great opportunity to engage with parents. I think lessons have been learnt, and hopefully won't be repeated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully some later meetings will be arranged, i think attendance will be higher among working parents that way x

      Delete
  5. I think the timing of the letter was a little unfortunate, given that a lot of parents have probably bought uniform for the new year - especially new Reception parents.
    Other schools that I know of that have changed logos have had a voting system which gets children enthusiastic about the new logo as it is a big part of their school identity. I agree that consultation with parents and children would have helped with the transistion, but hopefully the new logo will come to be as popular as the old one.

    ReplyDelete